Saturday, December 11, 2010

Photos Galore!

(Almost) the whole gang at the Ambassador's House looking at these photos.

This is my whole host family at the going-away party. Aren't we cute? Tanzanian ceremonies are super formal and super awkward for Americans but I was glad to be with them/awkwardly feed them cake and stumble through a thank-you in Kiswahili.

Mike is asking himself the question "how much vegetable oil went into this food?" I know better. Ignorance Mike...it's bliss.

Sarah's host sister and I share a giggle.

This is my house! Just kidding...it's the ambassadors. Mine is slightly modest.

Don't we look respectable? This was the day right before I moved into a house with no electricity and running water.

Thanksgiving dinner at the Ambassador's house. After two months of rice and beans we were way more excited about the food than anything else (swearing in and meeting the US Ambassador included). Whatever...there was pumkin pie and unlimited apples.

This place is real. And they serve pumkinpie and turkey.

Swearing in! I'm a real volunteer now!

The dream team at the Embassy after swearing in. This was the group I went through training with. Sarah (on the far right) is my closest neighbor and pretty much a goddamn riot. From left to right they are Lisa, Carly, Mike, Kondo, me and Sarah.

This is my headmaster! His name is Bonus Ndimbo and he's straight up the best.

2 comments:

  1. Sæl Neve!

    Not going to lie: I saw you in a dress and thought "who died?" But that purple number you were wearing, a seriously good decision.

    I'm so proud to read the blog entries about your life in Africa! These photos are awesome to look at and they really inspire me to be more of a shutterbug. I've been quite lax lately. But hey, I'm a broke humanities grad student living in a Scandinavian capital city--so you can hardly blame me right?

    This also, has nothing to do with anything: but I still listen to Joop Joop and think of you and Peung. Especially when tipsy on white wine. Which incidentally, is now!

    Love your guts Neve,

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I meant "who died" as in, your rarely wear dresses, so I assume you'd wear them only on special occasions like funerals. I will live to regret my tipsy postings. Just like that fruit fly who met his demise on the rim of my glass.

    ReplyDelete